|Salary:||£20,000 - £23,000|
The job holder will be part of a multi discipline team with an emphasis on quality patient care, they will ensure a comprehensive level of care provision to all ophthalmic patients, their relatives or carers, across clinical and some administrative disciplines.
The job holder will work alongside other clinical team members and optometrists for outpatient consultations and pre-assessment of patients, ensuring any concerns are reported as appropriate to the nursing team.
The job holder will adhere to the principles of integrated clinical governance and the Care Quality Commission (CQC) requirements in order to provide the most efficient and effective level of service.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Hold accountability for the delivery of high quality patient care throughout their visit to the facility.
- Work closely with clinical and patient services staff to ensure the smooth running of operating lists.
- Actively support and assist patients on surgery days ensuring effective communication.
- Handling patient enquiries effectively, by means of referral to a medical practitioner if necessary, and providing excellent customer service.
- Provide basic advice on health promotion, with particular reference to ophthalmic surgery.
- Provide pre and post-operative care, within level of competence, to patients and their carers.
- Be aware and sensitive to patients’ and relatives’ needs and adopt an empathetic and personal approach at all times.
- Organise notes and hospital lists to ensure smooth running of hospital schedules, using the ERM system or manual records as appropriate.
- Preparation of consulting/examination/treatment rooms throughout the day ensuring rooms are tidy, stocked with appropriate equipment, stationery etc.
- To offer non-clinical advice regarding appointments and tests.
- Effective day to day management of the diagnostic equipment, including scheduling of patients and back up of diagnostic information.
- Patient data management, ensuring efficient operation of the equipment including any transfer of files between computers.
- The cleaning, preparing and assembling of associated surgical equipment prior to and during treatment, in line with CQC guidelines and company protocols.
- Opening up and closing down of all consulting rooms and diagnostic rooms ensuring all equipment is clean and operational reporting any faults in equipment to Clinical Services Manager.
- Undertake training and reach a level of competence as a laser technician in the Refractive Theatre.
- Work with all staff to ensure an awareness of the uses, safety precautions and handling of equipment within the clinical areas.
- Ensure correct storage of all equipment, taking responsibility to report any concerns to the appropriate manager.
- To assist in the control of cross infection by working to the Hospital policy regarding Uniform Policy, the maintenance of a clean working environment, decontamination and sterilisation procedures.
- To follow correct procedures for documenting and reporting any accident or incident.
- To assist the Clinical Services Manager with suppliers to ensure relevant levels of stock are available so surgery can be performed without delay.
- Basic Life Support competent
- Achieved or working towards NVQ levels 2 or 3 in Health and Social Care
Skills & Experience
- Able to set key goals and objectives and work towards these
- Ability to work within necessary boundaries
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to deal with challenging behaviours
- Ability to act as a resource for colleagues and staff
- Strong IT skills ie good working knowledge of Microsoft Office including: Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Represent the brand
- Experience of working in a healthcare environment
- Experience of working in ophthalmology an advantage
- Demonstrates a proactive, positive and optimistic attitude using common sense approach
- Flexible, pragmatic and articulate
- Demonstrates ability to cope under pressure
- Commitment to excellence and excellent customer care
- Confident with senior colleagues, clinicians and key suppliers
- Ability to operate in a multi-cultural environment
This job description is not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake such other duties from time to time as are consistent with the responsibility of the role.
If you have not been contacted within 5 working days, then unfortunately on this occasion your CV has not been shortlisted.
Speak to the 2i Team: 01483 414719