Overall purpose of the job:
The prime role of the Property Assistant is to provide direct support to his/her fee earner(s) to enable them to operate at optimum efficiency. This will include but will not be limited to the main responsibilities given below. The jobholder is expected to use a high degree of self-management and initiative.
Key tasks, duties and quality standards
- To assist the Residential Property department generally as and when required.
- Prepare correspondence and documents through audio-typing and word processing.
- Preparation of completion statements and assist with Completion formalities.
- Administer filing which will include daily filing and the opening, closing, storage and retrieval of client files in accordance with the detailed procedures contained in the office manual.
- Prepare mail and enclosures for dispatch.
- Arrange for all copying to be done, in person if an office assistant is not available to undertake the task.
- Make appointments, arrange meetings and to maintain an up to date diary for his/her fee earner.
- Prepare the conference room for meetings as necessary, tidying and clearing the room at the end of the meeting and providing refreshments when asked to do so.
- Attend to clients and agents both in person and on the telephone and to provide such support in a professional and friendly manner in keeping with the firm’s standards for client care: including updating clients and agents; chasing clients , other side and organisations for information.
- Undertake on-line form filling requirements including SDLT forms
- Preparing AP1s and dealing with registration and all post completion formalities.
- Obtaining information from local authority and other organisations.
- Assisting Residential Property with marketing.
- Undertake any specific training when required to do so and overall to have a responsibility towards self-development.
- Ensure the confidentiality of all the Firm’s and clients’ documentation and information.
- Operate the Firm’s Case Management System
- Maintain or improve on the current standards of document presentation
- Consider improvements to the efficiency of the department.
- Undertake other duties as from time to time required
Additional and or different Duties
This job description is non-exhaustive and the Firm reserves the right to vary the duties and responsibilities of the post holder at any time according to the needs of the Firm’s business.
Essential personal qualities and attributes/ Essential skills, knowledge and abilities (Competencies)
- Legal background with specific experience in Commercial Property/Residential Property
- Advanced IT skills in relevant packages
- Keeps up with Fee Earner’s work production
- High accuracy levels
- Communicates professionally with clients, agents and others involved in the conveyancing process, both on the ‘phone and personally
- Provides good customer care
- Demonstrates a pro-active approach to work and clients
- Progresses client matters without supervision and in the absence of the fee-earner
- Takes on other tasks
- Demonstrates ability and willingness to:
- work to deadlines
- to cope under pressure
- use initiative
- prioritise work-loads effectively
- work as part of a team
- Demonstrates clear commitment to the Firm and a genuine interest in legal work
- Has a good attendance record year on year
- Demonstrates a positive attitude.
Desirable skills, knowledge and abilities (Competencies)
- Prior knowledge of Evolution or other case management systems
- Knowledge of law / legal practice
Speak to the 2i Team: 01483 414719